Wednesday, June 22, 2011

It has been a crazy last few days, my goodness!

I am finally in Greece! It is beautiful here! Largely because it is surrounded by water. So anyways, my adventure in Greece started in Athens. At this point in our trip we were extremely tired and wanted to nap all day, but no can do! So much to see and experience! So we started at the Parthenon. It was beautiful! It was a decent hike up to the top but it was overlooking the entire city! I could've sat up there for hours. Later that night we ate at our first Greek restaurant called "God's Restaurant" where I was completely overwhelmed with culture shock. The server came over and started talking and my mouth just dropped. You see, in Italy I could at least attempt to read the words and pronounce what was on the menu. I could even somewhat guess what they were saying to me! In Greece however... it is completely different. It seems like they are talking gibberish and there is no way to even attempt to read any of their letters/words. It was crazy! But thank goodness I had my Greek friend with me who could ease me into the language and cultural mannerisms. At the restaurant we began to learn short Greek phrases while eating the most amazing salad ever! A Greek Salad! It has tomatoes, and cucumber, and onions, and olives, olive oil, spices, and most importantly FETA CHEESE! It was soooo good and officially my new favorite food!

The next day we ventured our way to the riot (which I have already mentioned below) and met up with our friends Carlos and Renee (from Ohio). Later that night we met a bunch of travelers on a rooftop bar that was owned by the hostel company. It was so fun. You could not only see the entire city from above once again, but you could also see the Acropolis all lit up during the night. It was beautiful! We definitely enjoyed the happy hour at that bar! Mary and I had a wonderful drink called the Zeus Boost! A fun tropical drink with wonderful friends (Andy from New Zealand, Carlos, Mary, Renee, Me, and Aaron from New Zealand) on a rooftop in Greece! What could be better. Later that night we made friends with the bar tender who eventually took us to a local bar where we had a blast dancing and meeting new people.

Now, after a five hour train ride, we have finally made our way north up to Thessaloniki where we will be taking classes. Mary and I have settled into our cute little apartment and have made many awesome friends from the building and from school. The apartment building is one block from the boardwalk and about a thirty minute walk to the city. We have also recently planned a trip to Santorini with some of our new wonderful friends from St. Louis (Caroline and Jacqueline)! That is going to be awesome.

Overall in our program here there are about 80 students that are participating in the summer program at ACT (American College of Thessaloniki). The campus is beautiful! There are only about five buildings but they are right outside Thessaloniki and look over the entire city. Mary and I will be taking one photography course so be expecting many more picture to come!
Also, the food here is just as amazing as Athens and Rome and my favorite food is still FETA cheese. Num. The authentic Greek Gyros of course are delicious also!

No comments:

Post a Comment